The Laboratory Officer will assist the laboratory technician in the operation, care, maintenance and improvement of the science laboratories in the school.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Open and lock doors and windows of laboratories;
- Sweep the floor in the laboratories, store room and adjacent corridors;
- Empty waste bins;
- Clean whiteboards and replenish markers;
- Clean basins and sinks;
- Dust and clean items such as benches, stools, shelves, apparatus and bottles;
- Refill reagent bottles;
- Wash bench cloths;
- Prepare the correct apparatus and reagents for use;
- Assist the laboratory technician to account for all apparatus and reagents used;
- Assist teachers to provide additional apparatus, record student particulars who damage apparatus, replace and dispose damaged apparatus properly;
- Check all gas valves to ensure that they are closed after use;
- Identify laboratory safety issues and report to the lab technician;
- Wash glassware with detergent and other apparatus as directed;
- Clean, dry and store all apparatus in the designated storage area.
- Perform minor repairs on apparatus;
- Make gadgets for experiments and build up resources for the demonstration of science concepts;
- Maintain the gadgets in working condition.
- Empty and clean cupboards and shelves;
- Oil apparatus and other items which rusts easily;
- Grease the glass stoppers;
- Polish glass cupboard doors and brass equipment;
- Inspect and thoroughly clean the drainage system in the laboratories.
- Treat bench tops and paint fittings and equipment;
- Ensure all apparatus and reagent bottle labels are neat and visible.
- Assist in the annual stock taking of inventory;
- Assist in the preparations for school and faculty events and activities.
- Minimum of National Trade Certificate Grade III in the technical discipline or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years experience in similar capacity
- The ability to perform daily routine activities and a team player
- Able to commit from Jan to May 2021
Interested applicants please email updated curriculum vitae to [email protected]
. Please indicate the position title you are applying for in the subject field of the email.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be notified.