Reporting to Vice Principal (Academic) to support the school vision and mission, the Head of Literature in English (LIT) is responsible for leading, developing and inspiring a team of dedicated and experienced LIT teachers to create a vibrant teaching and learning environment through the LIT curriculum.
The Head/LIT is responsible for the Leadership of the LIT Faculty, Development and Management of staff and Management of Work Processes within the faculty.
RESPONSIBILITIES Leadership of LIT Faculty:
The Head of LIT is responsible for integration of school wide policies and programs to build a positive school culture based on the school ethos: a holistic education in and through the arts, a rigorous school based and IB curriculum as well as a culture of experimentation, expression and discovery.
The key leadership responsibilities include (but not limited to):
Development and Management of staff:
- Ensure alignment of LIT curriculum from Year 1 to Year 6 based on the curriculum goals, scope and sequence, assessment modes and learning needs of students from diverse academic abilities.
- Disseminate guidelines and resources from MOE and IB in the areas of curriculum, pedagogy and assessment that assist the LIT faculty to translate SOTA strategic goals into student engagement and learning outcomes in the classroom.
- Implement the adoption of sound, purposeful and effective formative and summative assessment practices that support the desired learning outcomes.
- Monitor and analyse student performance as well as diagnose learning needs and plan for intervention based on segmented needs and continuously work with the faculty to improve the effectiveness of the curriculum programmes.
- Participate and contribute in SOTA’s strategic planning and review process to develop LIT faculty short to long term academic strategies that lead to achievement of school goals and outcomes.
- Monitor progress and achievement of faculty to ensure curriculum is in alignment with SOTA strategic goals, scope and sequence of learning and the learning needs of students.
The Head of LIT supports teachers with ongoing staff development to ensure that the IB Learner Profile in the SOTA curriculum is educated through IB Approaches to Teaching and Learning. The responsibilities include:
Management of Work Processes
- Establish clear expectations and monitor progress of faculty members as well as initiate suitable development plans for staff.
- Identify training and development needs of the faculty and plan for training activities that enhance the capacity of faculty members in curriculum development, pedagogy, arts integration and IB approaches to Teaching and Learning.
- Develop staff according to their capabilities and development and inculcate a teacher-driven professional learning culture.
- Support research on pedagogical approaches for student learning and serve as a thought leader in current and new methodologies in LIT teaching and pedagogies.
The Head of LIT supports the faculty in resource management and managing external partnerships to support school strategic objectives. The responsibilities include:
- Plan and allocate budget and resources to various curriculum programmes as well as manage and monitor allocated physical and/ or teaching and learning resources to support faculty members.
- Develop partnerships and platforms to work collaboratively with key internal and external stakeholders or educational institutions, government organizations and the community for resourcing and funding issues.
- Coordinate the work of school level committees to facilitate student focused processes and strengthen quality school experience.
- Have an honours degree or professional qualification in the chosen discipline
- Have a strong commitment to and passion for the arts and education
- Have a broad and thorough knowledge of the teaching subject(s)
- Have at least 5 years of teaching experience at pre-tertiary levels
- Be self-motivated and innovative
- Have the ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Have experience in leading a team of teachers
- Exposure to or knowledge of the International Baccalaureate Diploma programme is an added advantage
Interested applicants please email updated curriculum vitae to [email protected]
. Please indicate the position title you are applying for in the subject field of the email.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be notified.