Head of Department is to ensure the delivery of SOTA’s mission by providing strategic direction, developing curriculum and resources, coordinating academic and non-academic experiences through which SOTA connects to its surrounding community. The Job Holder is expected to promote civic engagement by providing educational opportunities and leadership development to students and staff. The Job Holder will also work closely with SOTA Corporate Office to develop funding for programmes.
RESPONSIBILITIES Curriculum, Pedagogy and Assessment
Leading the Department
- Demonstrates knowledge of factors which contribute to the school effectiveness in teaching and learning, makes appropriate adjustments in the curriculum in line with the school’s strategic thrusts.
- Keeps current in subject matter knowledge and learning theory and is willing to share this knowledge for continual improvement of the school’s curriculum.
- Plans for appropriate and beneficial instructional programmes and prepares suitable teaching resources to bring about deep understanding.
- Demonstrates a strong grasp of subject matter and is able to develop and review appropriate teaching and learning resources.
- Creates a vibrant classroom environment that is conducive to learning and maximises time on tasks by employing a variety of appropriate teaching strategies.
- Provides a role model for staff in pedagogy and motivates the department to develop effective practices, incorporating high expectations in teaching and learning.
- Plans and organises appropriate training programme to ensure staff receive sufficient training to effectively carry out their duties.
- Manages the department and makes sound decisions on professional and administrative matters.
- Plans and manages finances necessary for the department to execute its duties.
- Works cooperatively with stakeholders to strengthen the educational programme and to build strategic partnerships.
- Upholds and enforces school policy, administrative procedures, and school rules and regulations, and is supportive of them.
- Communicates the positive aspects of our school programmes to the stakeholders in word and deed.
- Have an honours degree or professional qualification in the chosen or related discipline
- Have a strong commitment to and passion for education and the arts
- Have at least 5 years of teaching and curriculum design experience
- Have a broad and thorough knowledge of the teaching subject(s)
- Be self-motivated, responsible, caring and innovative
- Possess strong leadership and management skills, with experience in administration
- Be able to work well in multi-disciplinary teams
- Exposure to or knowledge of the International Baccalaureate Diploma programme is an added advantage
Interested applicants please email updated curriculum vitae to [email protected]
. Please indicate the position title you are applying for in the subject field of the email.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be notified.