WINNERS & FINALISTS Posted on 30 April 2020
The SOTA Primary 6 Creative Writing Competition 2020 received a record 1,514 entries from primary schools all across Singapore.
All the works submitted were very impressive, and shortlisting the finalists proved to be a very challenging task. The top three winners and 22 finalists were decided on after much careful deliberation.
The 3 winners wrote stories with interesting and believable characters engaged in heartwarming and intriguing situations, all set within richly imagined and developed settings.
Our congratulations to the winners and finalists!
We would also like to thank SPH Foundation for sponsoring the book vouchers that will be received by the winners.
- The decisions are final and SOTA reserves the right not to respond to queries.
- All winners and finalists will be further notified by email in the coming weeks.
|1st ||Rakitha Yasotharan ||Tampines Primary School |
|2nd ||Hannah Chua Yun Han ||Nanyang Primary School |
|3rd ||Lee Zhiqin Isaac ||Catholic High School (Primary) |
|Wang YiXuan||Bukit View Primary School|
|Elliot Aidan Ng||Catholic High School (Primary)|
|Maria Zagriatski||CHIJ Kellock|
|Thaddea Tan||Edgefield Primary School|
|Puah Youxuan Anne||Greenridge Primary School|
|Yeo Ka Ing||Henry Park Primary School|
|Chew Ching Ern||Jurong Primary School|
|Zebina Tock Jia Hsuen||Methodist Girls' School|
|Chay Jialin, Jamie||Nanyang Primary School|
|Tan Hong Yu||Nanyang Primary School|
|Ang Xuan En Shannen||Palm View Primary School|
|Sophie Tung Xuan Ying||Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School|
|Tor Yu-Herng||Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School|
|Ku Zi Xuan||Red Swastika School|
|Princy Thakkar||Rivervale Primary School|
|Wong Yuan Xin||Rosyth School|
|Estelle Goh||St Margaret's Primary School|
|Mah Ye-en, Caitlynn||Tampines North Primary School|
|Lerraine Neo Le Xuan||Tao Nan School|
|Ong En Min, Faith||Tao Nan School|
|Shi Xin Yi||Tao Nan School|
|Tee Ren Hao||Yew Tee Primary School|
SHORTLIST Posted on 6 April 2020
Thank you for your participation in the SOTA Primary 6 Creative Writing Competition 2020. We received a whopping 1,500 submissions from all of you promising young writers!
The 50 finalists are named below, in alphabetical order according to school. The top three winners of the Competition will be picked from these finalists.
We once again sincerely thank all participants for being involved in this Competition!
| Kate Lee Ai Yun || Alexandra Primary School |
| Wang YiXuan || Bukit View Primary School |
| Elliot Aidan Ng || Catholic High School (Primary) |
| Lee Zhiqin Isaac || Catholic High School (Primary) |
| Maria Zagriatski || CHIJ Kellock |
| Anya Aw || Chongfu School |
| Caleb Kow Rong Pin || Edgefield Primary School |
| Thaddea Tan || Edgefield Primary School |
| Wong Yu Ting || Edgefield Primary School |
| Joyce Sen Le Ning || Fairfield Methodist Primary |
| Druss Dzulqarnaen Joehandi || Fuchun Primary School |
| Puah Youxuan Anne || Greenridge Primary School |
| Jervis Lim || Henry Park Primary School |
| Yeo Ka Ing || Henry Park Primary School |
| Chew Ching Ern || Jurong Primary School |
| Xavier Ang Woo Hao || Jurong West Primary School |
| Abdul Azeem || Keming Primary |
| Zebina Tock Jia Hsuen || Methodist Girls' School |
| Cai Yi Shan || Nan Chiau Primary School |
| Wang Qi Xuan || Nan Chiau Primary School |
| Chay Jialin, Jamie || Nanyang Primary School |
| Hannah Chua Yun Han || Nanyang Primary School |
| Tan Hong Yu || Nanyang Primary School |
| Tan Wen Yu || Nanyang Primary School |
| Ang Xuan En Shannen || Palm View Primary School |
| Esther Siak Ka Yee || Paya Lebar Methodist Girl's School (Primary) |
| Sophie Tung Xuan Ying || Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School |
| Tor Yu-Herng || Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School |
| Goh Yi Xuan Rissa || Queenstown Primary School |
| Chin Khai Lynn || Raffles Girls' Primary School |
| Ku Zi Xuan || Red Swastika School |
| Ethan Seow Yi Xuan || River Valley Primary School |
| Princy Thakkar || Rivervale Primary School |
| Anastasia Tan Zhi En || Rosyth School |
| Lee Zhe Yu, Nathan || Rosyth School |
| Wang YuanXin || Rosyth School |
| Ong Jing Kai Eldric || Rulang Primary School |
| Evita Mishra || Sembawang Primary School |
| Nigel Tan || Sembawang Primary School |
| Estelle Goh || St Margaret's Primary School |
| Mah Ye-en, Caitlynn || Tampines North Primary School |
| Rakitha Yasotharan || Tampines Primary School |
| Lerraine Neo Le Xuan || Tao Nan School |
| Moses Goh Chien Ler || Tao Nan School |
| Ong En Min, Faith || Tao Nan School |
| Shi Xin Yi || Tao Nan School |
| Tan Ethan || Tao Nan School |
| Jyotsnaa Jayashanker || Xinmin Primary School |
| Tee Ren Hao || Yew Tee Primary School |
| Grace Tan YuTing || Yu Neng Primary School |
SOTA is pleased to announce the fourth edition of its annual nation-wide creative writing competition. This year, the SOTA Primary 6 Creative Writing Competition is proudly supported by Singapore Press Holdings Foundation.
If you will be in Primary 6 in 2020 and have a love for writing, you are invited to take part in this competition.
- Step 1: Pick one of the prompts
- Write a story based on the following 5 words: elephant, guitar, blue, paper, and train.
- The city underground.
- Write a story about 2 people — or other non-human characters if you prefer — from very different backgrounds sharing a meal together. What happens?
- You come across a door in a forest. What happens next?
- Step 2: Write an original story, of no more than 450 words, based on the prompt you chose.
- Step 3: Submit your story with your completed entry form.
Up to 50 finalists will be invited to a free short story writing workshop.
Of the 50 finalists, 3 students will be named the winners of the following:
- 1st Prize: $500 book voucher
- 2nd Prize: $350 book voucher
- 3rd Prize: $150 book voucher
- Submission due date: 7 February 2020, 5pm
- Notification of finalists:
Early-March 2020 Early-April 2020
Half day, mid- to late-March 2020 Cancelled
- Announcement of winners: April 2020
- The competition is ONLY open to all students who will be in Primary 6 (or its equivalent) in 2020.
Each contestant may only submit ONE entry. Entries must be submitted via regular post to:
SOTA Primary 6 Creative Writing Competition 2020,
School of the Arts, Singapore,
1 Zubir Said Drive,
Administration Office, #05-01,
- Entries must be typed on an A4-sized paper with font-size 12 and double-spaced. All entries MUST include the participant's (i) name, (ii) school, (iii) exact number of words and (iv) email address (either individual's or parent's) on the upper left-hand corner of the first page.
- ALL entries MUST be accompanied with an official entry form. Please click here to download the form.
- ALL entries MUST be original and written in English. The submissions must be unpublished and not accepted by any publisher or producer at the time of submission.
- SOTA retains the non-exclusive, perpetual, world-wide, royalty-free license (with right to sublicense) to keep and use submitted entries for any purpose consistent with the mission of SOTA, including educational, archival and research purposes, and for publicising SOTA or any programme or faculty of SOTA, including derivative works for such purposes.
- Entries that exceed the word count of 450 words will be disqualified and unread. Title and contact information will not be included in the word count.
- The submission deadline is 7 February 2020 at 5pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Up to 50 finalists will be shortlisted by SOTA's Faculty of Literary Arts and notified by
early-March early-April. They will be invited to attend a short story writing workshop in mid- to late-March 2020. Of the 50 finalists, 3 students will be named the winners. The first, second and third place winners will win $500, $350 and $150 in book vouchers respectively.