Literary Arts is a 4-year creative writing programme.
In Literary Arts, students learn to critically appreciate a range of literary works from the point of view of a writer, and to ideate and create original works. They will explore a range of literary forms such as prose, poetry, and drama, as well as a variety of writing forms, like short stories, playscripts, comics, creative non-fiction and different types of poetry.
Students in the programme will learn the conventions and techniques of each form to understand how to apply these in their own writing. They will also learn to discuss and reflect on the choices they make in writing and editing.
By the end of the programme, Literary Arts students will be empowered to tell their original stories in different mediums and understand that creative writing is an art form that constantly evolves.
- Individual and small group mentorship by teachers
- Enrichment programmes conducted by exemplary local writers
- Showcases and online publication opportunities
- Participation in local writing workshops and writers’ festivals
- Field trips to explore the rich variety of cultures and traditions in Singapore
Students should demonstrate:
- deep understanding of the creative writing process
- understanding and appreciation of a range of literary forms
- application of knowledge of literary forms and a variety of techniques
- versatility, technique and skill in creating original works in the different forms
- strong communication and collaborative skills