DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF SUBJECT HEAD
Subject Heads are appointed in Departments which cover more than one subject and for subjects which are not the specialisation of the Head of Department (HOD), to assist HODs in the professional development of the department. Level Heads are appointed for departments with large number of staff in the same subject to assist the HODs to manage different levels i.e. the HOD will cover certain assigned levels and the LH, the other levels.
1. To plan and implement a comprehensive instructional programme in his/her subject and, in the case of Level Head, in his subject at the assigned levels, in consultation with the HOD.
2. To oversee the effective teaching of the subject (at the assigned levels) in the school and the effective conduct of test and examinations on the subject.
3. To vet test and examination papers for the subject.
4. To help monitor and analyse the performance of pupils in the subject.
5. To develop and adapt effective teaching strategies for the subject so as to increase learning effectiveness. This includes planning and implementing remediation and enrichment activities for the pupils.
6. Together with this team of teachers, to select, prepare and organize suitable teaching/learning resources (eg. Textbooks, supplementary and media materials) and encourage their effective use in classrooms.
7. To guide teachers in the subject, providing them with assistance whenever necessary.
8. To set out and implement training and professional upgrading plans for teachers in the subject with the help of Senior Teachers and others.
9. To assist HODs in the management of the Department including participating in decisions on professional and administrative matters concerning the Department.
10. To assist HODs in the evaluation of teachers under his/her charge.
- Have a good honours degree or professional qualification in the chosen discipline.
- Have a strong commitment and passion for education and the arts.
- Have a broad and thorough knowledge of the teaching subject(s).
- Have at least 5 years of teaching experience at pre-tertiary levels with either Secondary or Junior College (or equivalent) or IB teaching experience.
- Be self-motivated, responsible and innovative.
- Have the ability to lead and work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Exposure to or knowledge of the International Baccalaureate Diploma programme is an added advantage.
Interested applicants please email updated curriculum vitae to [email protected]. Please indicate the position title you are applying for in the subject field of the email.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be notified.