Thank you for your interest in the SOTA Primary 6 Creative Writing Competition 2021! We received more than 1,000 submissions from all of you promising young writers.
Finalists have been notified via email.
Congratulations! These 50 finalists will be invited for the Junior Academy short story writing workshop
, and the top three winners of the Competition will be picked from these finalists.
Winners will be announced by the last week of April 2021. Do check this page for updates, or follow us on Facebook
We once again sincerely thank all participants for being involved in this Competition!
scheduled on 27 March 2021
SOTA is pleased to announce the fifth edition of its annual nation-wide creative writing competition - the SOTA Primary 6 Creative Writing Competition is back!
If you will be in Primary 6 in 2021 and have a love for writing, you are invited to take part in this competition.
- Step 1: Pick one of the prompts.
- Write a story that contains the phrase, “This was clearly NOT a dream.”
- Write a story in which chicken rice plays a significant role.
- Imagine you open the door and you find a giant box with your name printed on it. What happens next?
- Write a story that ends with the phrase, “All he could do was give me a high-five.”
- Step 2: Write an original story, of no more than 450 words, based on the prompt you chose.
- Step 3: Submit your story via this form.
Up to 50 finalists will be invited to a free short story writing workshop.
Of the 50 finalists, 23 students will be named the winners of the following:
- First Prize: $500 book voucher
- Second Prize: $350 book voucher
- Third Prize: $150 book voucher
- 20x Commendation Awards: $50 book voucher each
- Submission due date: 22 January 2021, 5pm
- Notification of finalists: By 28 February 2021
- Workshop: 27 March 2021
- Announcement of winners: By the last week of April 2021
The competition is ONLY open to all students who will be in Primary 6 (or its equivalent) in 2021.
Each contestant may only submit ONE entry. Entries must be submitted via this form. Please attach a .pdf document to the submission.
Entries must be typewritten on A4 paper, in a basic font such as Arial, font size 12, and double-spaced.
Entries should indicate the participant's full name, school and email address in the upper-left corner of every page. Page numbers should be included in the upper-right corner of every page (e.g. 1 of 2).
Only short stories will be accepted. Each entry should be no longer than 450 words. Type the exact word count at the end of the manuscript.
ALL entries MUST be original and written in English. The submissions must be unpublished and unproduced and not accepted by any publisher or producer at the time of submission.
The copyright of the work sits with the original writer, however, SOTA retains the non-exclusive, perpetual, world-wide, royalty-free license (with right to sublicense) to keep and use submitted entries for any purpose consistent with the mission of SOTA, including educational, archival and research purposes, and for publicising SOTA or any programme or faculty of SOTA, including derivative works for such purposes, without needing to seek prior permission from the writer.
The submission deadline is 22 January 2021 at 5pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Finalists will be notified by March 2021. We reserve the right to not respond to emails or phone calls.
Failure to adhere to the competition rules will result in disqualification.
Winning entries will be selected by a panel of judges.
Have a question? Email us at [email protected]