Thank you for your interest in the SOTA Primary 6 Creative Writing Competition 2023!
The Top 50 finalists are named below, in alphabetical order according to school. All finalists have been notified via email, and are invited for the Junior Academy short story writing workshop held this March. The top 10 winners of the competition will be picked from these finalists.
Winners will be announced by the last week of April 2023. Do check this page for updates, or follow us on Facebook
Congratulations to the finalists! We once again sincerely thank all participants for being involved in this Competition!
|Bernice Tan En Ning ||Ai Tong School |
|Matthew Jacob Lloyd-Smith ||Anglo Chinese School (Junior) |
|Jayatra Panda ||Bukit View Primary School |
|Woon Tien Hau ||Catholic High School (Primary) |
|Sora Lillian Noju Slattery ||CHIJ Kellock |
|Emma Inca Tara Chan ||CHIJ Kellock |
|Chloe Mai Anh Duong ||CHIJ St Nicholas Girls School |
|Megan Mah Kai QI ||CHIJ St Nicholas Girls School |
|Cha Jia En ||ChongZheng Primary School |
|Jamie Isabelle Meer Tongol ||Edgefield Primary School |
|Kayla Lee Qi En ||Endeavour Primary School |
|Kyser Yeo ||Holy Innocents' Primary School |
|Sarah binte Sujuandy ||Homeschooled |
|Lin Anran, Audrey ||Homeschooled |
|Lee Wen-min ||Methodist Girls' School |
|Lui Chun Yin Daxton ||Nan Chiau Primary School |
|Xu Yaojia ||Nan Hua Primary School |
|Stanley Xie Wen Hao ||Nan Hua Primary School |
|Sophia Xie Xin Hui ||Nan Hua Primary School |
|Sophia Lu Yanxi ||Nanyang Primary School |
|Joy Ni Ruixuan ||Nanyang Primary School |
|Visvajit Kumar ||North View Primary School |
|Natalie Lai Hsuen Huey ||Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School (Primary) |
|Shanah Lucy Das ||Pei Chun Public School |
|Naya Batia Singer ||Pei Tong Primary School |
|Charissa Ooi Ke Han ||Raffles Girls' Primary School |
|Elise Lim Qian Rui ||Raffles Girls' Primary School |
|Erin Sung Min Ah ||Raffles Girls' Primary School |
|Caitlynn Cheng Li-Anne ||Raffles Girls' Primary School |
|Tang YinJiao Angel ||Raffles Girls' Primary School |
|Allysha Binte Asmadi ||Raffles Girls' Primary School |
|Lee Xing Lin Miranda ||Raffles Girls' Primary School |
|Yin Xuan Qing ||Rosyth School |
|Dawson Oh Xu Jie ||Sembawang Primary School |
|Carys Chui Jia Xin ||Sembawang Primary School |
|Cahanding Julia Luise De Venecia ||Sembawang Primary School |
|Dyuthi Bhatt ||Shuqun Primary School |
|Amber Lim Zi Shan ||Singapore Chinese Girls' School |
|Zhu Yueyang ||South View Primary School |
|Vuitton Tiong Yu Qi ||St Anthony's Primary School |
|Breyan Sit An ||St. Hilda's Primary School |
|Rheanna Sharma ||St. Margaret's Primary School |
|Ng Si Rui, Alicia ||St. Margaret's Primary School |
|Ye Xinyan ||Telok Kurau Primary School |
|Meredith Pang Yu An ||Woodgrove Primary School |
|Chan Zi Xuan Natalyn ||Yangzheng Primary School |
|Xu Yanni ||Yio Chu Kang Primary School |
|Clara Tan Le En ||Yu Neng Primary School |
|Mok Fung Ray ||Zhenghua Primary School |
|Wiseley Cheong Hak Hyun ||Zhenghua Primary School |
SOTA is pleased to announce the seventh edition of its annual nation-wide creative writing competition.
If you will be in Primary 6 in 2023 and have a love for writing, you are invited to take part in this competition.
- Step 1: Pick one of the prompts.
- About the day the hamsters got their revenge.
- That starts/ends with/includes this line: "The song of the seahorsemen was bewitching".
- About a flying child.
- About a student who falls into a vat of kaya and emerges with superpowers.
- Step 2: Write an original short story of no more than 450 words, based on the prompt you have chosen.
- Step 3: Submit your story via this form.
Up to 50 finalists will be invited to a free short story writing workshop (TBC) and receive the following prizes:
- Top 10 finalists: $100 book voucher
- Next 40 finalists: $20 book voucher
- Submission due date: 14 January 2023, 5pm
- Notification of finalists: March 2023
- Workshop (TBC): 12 to 20 March 2023
- Announcement of winners: April 2023
- The competition is ONLY open to all students who will be in Primary 6 (or its equivalent) in 2023. Homeschoolers who will be in Primary 6 (or its equivalent) in 2023 are also allowed to take part in this competition.
- Each contestant may only submit ONE entry. Entries must be submitted via this form. Please attach a .pdf document to the submission.
- Participants must include a title for their short story. Participants are strongly advised not to combine 2 or more prompts in their short stories. Please read the winning entries from the previous years for reference.
- Only short stories will be accepted. Each entry should be no longer than 450 words. Type the exact word count at the end of the manuscript.
- Entries must be typewritten and double-spaced on A4 paper. Font to be used is Arial. Font size 12. Entries should indicate the participant's full name and school in the upper-left corner of the first page. Page numbers should be included in the bottom-right corner of every page.
- Participants from international schools in Singapore who will turn 12 in 2023 are encouraged to apply.
- Participants are to submit their entries individually. Teachers and parents are advised not to compile multiple students' submissions into one Google form. The form only allows one per email address.
- All entries MUST be original and written in English. The submissions must not have been previously published and/or accepted by any publisher (print or online) at the time of submission.
- SOTA retains the non-exclusive, perpetual, world-wide, royalty free license (with right to sublicense) to keep and use submitted entries for any purpose consistent with the mission of SOTA, including educational, archival and research purposes, and for publicizing SOTA or any programme or faculty of SOTA, including derivative works for such purposes.
- The submission deadline is 14 January 2023 (Saturday) at 5pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- The top 50 finalists will be notified by email in March 2023. No emails or phone calls to clarify whether submissions have been received will be entertained.
- Failure to adhere to any of the competition rules will result in disqualification.
- Winning entries will be selected by a panel of judges. The judges' decision is final.
Click on the top three winners' names to read their submissions!