The Laboratory Assistant/Officer will assist the laboratory technician in the operation, care, maintenance and improvement of the science laboratories in the school.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Open and lock doors and windows of laboratories;
- Sweep the floor in the laboratories, store room and adjacent corridors;
- Empty waste bins;
- Clean whiteboards and replenish markers;
- Clean basins and sinks;
- Dust and clean items such as benches, stools, shelves, apparatus and bottles;
- Refill reagent bottles;
- Wash bench cloths;
- Prepare the correct apparatus and reagents for use;
- Assist the laboratory technician to account for all apparatus and reagents used;
- Assist teachers to provide additional apparatus, record student particulars who damage apparatus, replace and dispose damaged apparatus properly;
- Check all gas valves to ensure that they are closed after use;
- Identify laboratory safety issues and report to the lab technician;
- Wash glassware with detergent and other apparatus as directed;
- Clean, dry and store all apparatus in the designated storage area;
- Perform minor repairs on apparatus;
- Make gadgets for experiments and build up resources for the demonstration of science concepts;
- Maintain the gadgets in working condition.
- Empty and clean cupboards and shelves;
- Oil apparatus and other items which rusts easily;
- Grease the glass stoppers;
- Polish glass cupboard doors and brass equipment;
- Inspect and thoroughly clean the drainage system in the laboratories.
- Treat bench tops and paint fittings and equipment;
- Ensure all apparatus and reagent bottle labels are neat and visible.
- Assist in the annual stock taking of inventory;
- Assist in the preparations for school and faculty events and activities;
- Support school-wide events and key activities;
- Adhere to SOTA’s prevailing policies and procedures;
- Any ad-hoc duties as required by Reporting Officer, Management or the Organisation.
- Minimum of National Trade Certificate Grade III in the technical discipline or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years experience in similar capacity
- Able to perform daily routine activities and a team player
- Support school-wide events and key activities
- Adhere to SOTA’s prevailing policies and procedures
- Accept any other duties as assigned by Reporting Officer or Management of the School
Interested applicants please email updated curriculum vitae to [email protected]
. Please indicate the position title you are applying for in the subject field of the email.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.